Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index Solihull Cycling Club
Welcome to the Solihull CC Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   SearchHomepage   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Applie Pie runs... 9:00
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index -> General riding/club runs/touring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Applie Pie runs... 9:00 Reply with quote

Hi all, Numbers have been dwindling on the 9:00 Apple pie run for a while and this is the time of year (weather permitting) to get this run going again.
There will be new faces and a new dynamic on this ride for 2015 as some riders have already progressed up to the station run anyway and some might be ready to move up from 9:30
So the riders I see as participating are the U12 > U 14 group....so the likes of Nathan and COnnor, Tom Green, Alex Harper, Abi Andrews, Chloe, James....Jack R-G (when not on the station run)....etc
We have potentially more riders as well so I have probably missed a few....so this isn't an exclusive club !!

The key element here is purely to get the road miles in to improve condition.
Unlike other sports, with cycling a few practise rides don't make you competition fit...so we gotta start getting the miles in.

At the moment, the weather for tomorrow looks like it might be OK....very cold, but unsure if there will be a frost due to cloud cover tonight. However....if no frost, lets be there at 09:00 and get this bus going again Smile

cheers
Robin
Matt R-G

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robin - sounds good Smile
Unfortunately we're at Newport tomorrow so can't make the first one.

Hope weather's good to you.

M
JustKate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack was there for the 9.30 so as no one showed for Robin he kept Jack company instead.

Come on guys give Robin some company next week coz lil' Jack won't be there Crying or Very sad
Foxy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi...we had a nice ride out there with Jack....who interloped into the 9:00 run...sort of !!....and he beat me in the sprint as well !

Anyway...we need to get the regular 09:00 run going. Weather is looking promising with lack of frosts for a few days and better temperatures. I might have to revert to emailing everyone !!!!

cheers Smile
ER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robin

Chloe and James are planning to join you on the Apple Pie Run this coming Saturday 14/2/15.

Thanks

Elaine
Foxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great....weather expected to be a bit damper over the weekend but no frost so no reasons NOT to ride !! Smile

see you all tomorrow...

cheers
Robin
Judith H

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone else proposing to do the Apple Pie run tomorrow?
Alex would like to go but only if there are others; Tom and William won't be there.
I will only go if others are going at a similar pace - I don't want to risk being left behind as its no fun! Sad
I haven't ridden much over winter so may have slowed down.
Thanks
Judith
Tom Green

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Apple Pie 28th Feb Reply with quote

We have been away the last couple of weekends but, weather permitting, Tom and I are planning to try and get out for 9am Apple Pie runs this Saturday and for the next few weeks.

David
Richard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise, weather permitting, William aims to be there this week as well. Will we have a squad turnout of u14 age group riders?
James R, Tom G, Alex H, Olli K, William L, Nathan E, Ben W, .......??
Foxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi....I'll be there whatever the weather. Lets fill the bus tomorrow Smile
ER

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James R will be out tomorrow
Tom Green

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Applie Pie 7th March Reply with quote

Tom G will be there tomorrow.

David
SiobJones

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Apple Pie Reply with quote

Jacob and I are hoping to join people for the Apple Pie runs soon. I guess as he's aged 11 the 9:30 is the right run.
Unfortunately jacob has orchestra practice many Saturdays. But we will join the run when we can.
Siobhan Razz Smile
shed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to persuade Ben W to go on the Apple Pie run, however, our first experience towards the end of 2014 has put him off somewhat.

Ben loves his racing (circuit and CX) but is still a bit nervous on the road (he's only 9). During the run last year there was a crash on the busy road near the garden centre and Ben also suffered a double puncture when he was forced off into the gutter. This has made Ben very nervous of the apple pie runs and he's been reluctant to join in again. I have to admit I also found the experience a bit stressful! The main issues I saw were:

1. The size of the group - there were probably over a dozen of us, for adults this obviously isn't a problem, but for kids unused to riding in a group I'd suggest slightly smaller groups would be better, maybe 6-8?
2. Ranges of ability (both kids and adults!), the group became quite disorganised, stopping regularly to allow people to catch up. I'd suggest the smaller groups should be grouped by ability and have a genuine desire not to leave anyone behind (poss group by their racing categories if there are enough kids).

I really hope these issues can be sorted out. Ben hasn't been out on the bike much since the CX season ended in Dec. Following a poor result at the schools CX the other week he's realised that spending his weekends playing Minecraft and eating biscuits for three months has slowed him down a bit! He wants to get out on the road to get some miles in for the circuit season but doesn't want to do the apple pie run. I'd prefer him to go on on the club runs as I generally believe there is safety in numbers and I'm also keen to encourage him to ride with his club as much as possible.

Keen to hear other opinions on this and hope to see you all for a ride soon!
JustKate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry that you and Ben did not enjoy your first experience of Apple Pie runs especially as the main point of them is a social run.

There are a couple of points here for anyone wishing to come along to bear in mind - which is primarily that these are not coached rides – although there may be coaches there they are there with their own kids and for the fun of it rather than to lead the ride. And also that both adult & child should be confident riding on the road together and within a group before joining in and not forgetting that they should be capable of riding about 20-25 miles at a reasonable pace (13 mph average) with a stop at a café partway along.

Traditionally there is a 9 o’clock ride for the older youth with a 9.30am ride for the able younger riders – (aged from about 9 up to U12’s & occasionally older depending on the race plans for the weekend ahead).
It has never been anyone’s intention to leave anyone behind and once you know the route there are certain junctions where the group can re-group and the younger ones have a quick drink if they need one. Ian can remember the Apple Pie in question and says that the numbers of riders weren’t an issue but that it became more fragmented because there were quite a few first timers who didn’t know the route and weren’t used to riding in a group.

I think one of the problems is that there are not many of the very young doing the run at the moment – I know Jack has on many occasion been the only small one there so Ian & him just ride along having a good chat but then ride back with the older ones (for part of the route) for company having left the café in advance but accept that they will then be left behind before getting back to the car. When James first started doing the Apple Pies there was a group of his ability and age that rode together and ‘grew quicker together’ so the ride quickened over time.

Primarily, as I said, this is an informal Social ride not a training ride and the group will ‘fracture’ a bit dependant on ability – and it’s not always the kids that are the ones lagging behind Laughing

At the end of the day the Apple Pie Run is there to be enjoyed - it certainly has in our house over the past years - first with James & now with Jack - come rain or shine Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index -> General riding/club runs/touring All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: