Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index Solihull Cycling Club
Welcome to the Solihull CC Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   SearchHomepage   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Local History Quiz
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index -> General riding/club runs/touring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
breakers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the connection between the following places?

johnnymac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Pictures connection Reply with quote

I'm guessing that the connection is the Archer family or more specifically Thomas Archer.
I can identify the long carriage drive as that into Umberslade Hall.
Thomas Archer the architect of St Philips church (now Birmingham Cathedral) was a member of the Archer family who lived at Umberslade Hall.
I can't place the 3rd picture.But possibly in the grounds of Walton Hall ? the connection which I can't make.

Johnnymac
robgul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic 3 is Chatsworth in Derbyshire - also an Archer designed creation

Rob
breakers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Answer Q68 Reply with quote

Thanks Johnny and Rob for your correct answers. The link is Thomas Archer of Umderslade Hall Tanworth in Arden and termed a gentleman architect he was first given the task of designing St Philips church, Birmingham (which later got cathedral status) and later he did various designs at Chatsworth House in Derbyshire.

Thomas Archer (1668–1743) is described as the most European, and certainly one of the most accomplished, of the English Baroque architects.  His later relative obscurity was mainly due to the misfortune that his contemporaries were some of the greatest British architects of any era.
Amongst other commissions there were Heythrop House, Oxfordshire and Roehampton House, south-west London

breakers

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us pass by this old timber church quite regularly. Where is it and what is its loose connection to early electronic communications?
frosty steve

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School building. Hockley Heath
breakers

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Answer 69 Reply with quote

Thanks Steve for your answer which is correct. I left it a while before giving a reply to see if anyone could elaborate on that.
The building was built as a temporary baptist church at Nuthurst (off Spring Lane ) in 1867. It was funded by George F Muntz of Umberslade Hall who converted to the Baptist faith. In 1877 the neighbouring stone church was built and the temporary wooden church became a school house.
The new church which could seat 200 had an early telegraph system, using microphones fixed in the church and connected over cables to speakers in Umberslade Hall. Mr Muntz used the system to hear the services he in later life couldn't attend due to ill health. The church is now out of use due to a dwindling congregation but is regularly open, staffed by volunteers and both buildings are well worth a visit.
breakers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where were these motorcycles made and what originally did the company make?

johnnymac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Royal Enfield Reply with quote

I'm surprised there have been no answers from the many motorcycle enthusiasts in the club.The famous marque was manufactured in Redditch at Hewell Road where they also made the Royal Enfield pedal cycles.
As any old soldier will tell you the Lee-Enfield rifle,which was the original product although not manufactured at Redditch I understand, was the standard issue infantry rifle to the British Army during the 1st and 2nd World Wars.
breakers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Johnny for your reply to the question. You're correct . But just a bit more , I think we've all heard about the Redditch connection with monks, needles, water mills and motorbikes, but not so much about bicycles which pre dated the motorcycle.
In 1851,a businessman named George Townsend put up a needle making mill in Hunt End, Redditch. His firm was named “Givry Works”. After George Townsend died, his son George Jr. and his half brother brought into Givry Works and made a crude bicycle. It had an iron backbone, wooden wheels, iron tyres and pedals of triangular pieces of wood. George Jnr went on to invent a sprung saddle.
The company got into financial difficulties but was bailed out and later went on to become Enfield Manufacturing Co Ltd then later the Royal Enfield.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index -> General riding/club runs/touring All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: