Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index Solihull Cycling Club
Welcome to the Solihull CC Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   SearchHomepage   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UNLUCKY / LUCKY AND A BIG THANKS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index -> General riding/club runs/touring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Humpty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: UNLUCKY / LUCKY AND A BIG THANKS Reply with quote

With a rare midweek day off work, I decided to go out with the Solihull Thursday crew today, for my first Thursday club ride in eight years or so of membership. Looking forward to one of Cliff's renowned magical mystery tours of the Warwickshire area, I took up my usual place at the back of the bunch.

Unfortunately a loud ping was heard just through Lowsenford, and having waved the group on and stopping I noticed a spoke had broken clean in two. Like a **** I had come out without any cash, beyond the cake & coffee necessity, and no mobile phone. I was now faced with a seven mile cleat footed hobble back to Hampton in Arden with the rear wheel so out of true as to leave the bike unrideable.

Just a few metres on I then got lucky when a white van stopped and a head popped out the window asking if I was okay. It turned out to be Gary Khan and his wife, who I've never been fortunate enough to meet before, but what a true Gent. He was good enough to ferry me over to Red Kite Cycles to try and sort out the rear wheel. If it wasn't for that act of kindness then I'd have faced trying to get to the nearest rail station or hoping to chance on a kind soul to ring me a taxi or worst of all walking. The lesson I've learnt here is however short the ride, always prepare for the worst. Finally a big, big thanks to Gary - a more kindly, friendly rescuer I couldn't have wished to meet in my hour of need (and I got the latest update on our British Cycling prospects too).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index -> General riding/club runs/touring All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: