Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index Solihull Cycling Club
Welcome to the Solihull CC Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   SearchHomepage   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chainring guards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index -> Technical questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Chainring guards Reply with quote

Poor old Ben dropped his chain in the final stages of the cross race today which somewhat spoilt the battle he'd been having with a Lichfield rider. The same happened the previous week over the hurdles at Baggeridge.

He's riding an old Islabike, which has double chainrings, 32/42 I think. I'm thinking of getting this https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-kids-32-tooth-chainguard-EV187391and just attaching the inner part to stop the chain dropping off the small ring. Any idea why this wouldn't work? Looks like a typical 5 bolt, 110BCD setup?

Any other ideas? Is it worth dropping a link or two out of the chain?

Thanks
Graham Woodhouse
Spenny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The K-Edge style chain catchers can work well - basically they are a metal bar that sits beside the inner ring, they sit very close to the chain ring so there isn't space for the chain to bounce. Specialize often fit dig's tooth catchers to their bikes to do the same job. I think the chain ring guard you linked to might be messy to fit.

There is a right length for a chain so make sure it is not over-tight big to big and that it is fully gathered up small to small. The children's bike do compromise on geometry so it may be worth feeling how much tension the derailleur gives at various points in its swing.

One technique that leads to dropping the chain is that you change to big sprocket at the rear, realise you've run out of gears and then change large to small at the front. The chain angle makes it easier to drop. Plan to change the front ring while in the middle of the cassette.
cully

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, looking at this chain guard on the link - to me it appears to be two rings that go one either side of a chainring, i.e. with the chainring sandwiched in the middle.

If you revisit the link https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-kids-32-tooth-chainguard-EV187391 there is an image on the far right of the images showing the two rings placed side by side as it were.

Therefore this device may be more applicable for a single front chainring set up.

Having the chain just a little tighter on a cross bike makes sense with the chain potentially bouncing around much more than on a road bike. Also perhaps check the tension on the derailleur cage is adequate, a stronger spring will keep the chain a little tighter.

You might try asking one or two more experienced cross riders. Perhaps there may be some out there reading this now!

Hope this helps.
Question
whosatthewheel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing the front ring in the mud is looking for trouble. I wonder if the best solution is to go for shorter chainring bolts and one ring only... maybe somewhere between 32 and 42 and ideally using one of those narrow/wide rings which are very popular in CX.

The trend in bikes for dirt is 1 ring only

110 BCD is the most popular size, so plenty of choice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index -> Technical questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: