Joined: 14 Aug 2008
|Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:31 pm Post subject: Club dinner - William Fotheringham , journalist and author
If you haven't completed and handed in your dinner/menu application for our dinner and awards night on 3 February 2018, you have until Sunday 14 January and after this no more applications will be taken, so please get them to Pauline GUNN ASAP and on Sunday at the latest.
Guest of honor at our awards evening is author and journalist William Fotheringham. More details about William are below as is a list of the books he has written.
He has asked me to pass on the following message....If you would like to order a signed copy of one of his books, let me (Paul Mann) know which book you require and he will bring it along to the Awards evening. I'm not sure of the cost of each book but I would guess they are £10-£15 each. Please e mail me on firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to place an order.
Guests at the dinner will also get a chance to ask him about his career as a cycling journalist and author, so please come along with a question or two you would like to ask him e.g. his thoughts on the Chris Froome saga and Sky etc.
William Fotheringham began writing about bike racing in 1988 and was covering the Tour de France within two years, one of maybe half a dozen British journalists on the race. He spent much of the 1990s writing for Cycling Weekly and Cycle Sport, combining that with work for the Guardian, who talked him into covering the Tour for them in 1994.
On the sports desk in the Guardian he covered rugby as well as cycling, and reported on the World Cup in 2003. His first full-length book, Put Me Back on My Bike, was published in 2002. One of his most recent books is Merckx: Half Man, Half Bike.
A graduate of Cambridge University with a degree in French, Russian and Italian, Fotheringham won the IPC Media Specialist Writer of the Year award in 1993 and 1998.
He was also a racing cyclist for nearly 30 years. He is described by Rapha as being "one of the finest writers in the ‘Pro Tour’ pressroom".
• Put me back on my bike: In search of Tom Simson - 2002
• Merckx: Half man, half bike – 2012
• A century of cycling: The classic races and legendary champions – 2003
• Colouring the Tour de France – 2016
• Bradley Wiggins My Time: An autobiography – 2012
• Fallen Angel: The passion of Fausto Coppi – 2009 PTO
• Racing Hard – 2013
• The Badger: The life of Bernard Hinault and the legacy of French cycling – 2015
• Roule Britannia: GB at the Tour de France – 2012
• Cyclopedia: It’s all about the bike – 2010
• Cycle racing: How to Train, Race and Win – 2004
• Fotheringham’s sporting trivia - 2003