Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index Solihull Cycling Club
Welcome to the Solihull CC Forum
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   SearchHomepage   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BRUM 200, a loop around Birmingham Audax

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index -> General riding/club runs/touring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
whosatthewheel



Joined: 03 Jul 2016
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: BRUM 200, a loop around Birmingham Audax Reply with quote

Entries are now open for the first edition of BRUM 200 Audax. Field is limited to 80 riders, so no last minute entries and I might have to close early.
A loop around 5 counties, visiting Cannock Chase, Ironbridge, Wyre Forest, the Severn Valley, all on B roads and quiet lanes. Surprisingly rural and scenic. £ 10 for AUK members, £ 12 for non members.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-82/

If you think 211 km is too far for you, but would still like to get involved, I will need a few pairs of hands on the day. HQ is Balsall Common Village hall.

You can email me at pcoppo@gmail.com

Thank you

Paolo
_________________
https://whosatthewheel.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
whosatthewheel



Joined: 03 Jul 2016
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only got a handful of places left and will likely close today.

It would be nice to have some local riders, as currently the bulk of the entries are from the Bromsgrove/Redditch area
_________________
https://whosatthewheel.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
whosatthewheel



Joined: 03 Jul 2016
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

General entries now closed.

I can still fit in a small number of riders with AUK membership.

AFAIK this is going to be the only Audax to start/finish within reasonable cycling distance from Solihull in 2019.

Needless to say, the route is infinitely better than Velo Birmingham (for one, it doesn't go through Coventry Laughing )
_________________
https://whosatthewheel.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
robgul



Joined: 20 Oct 2008
Posts: 51

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whosatthewheel wrote:
General entries now closed.

I can still fit in a small number of riders with AUK membership.

AFAIK this is going to be the only Audax to start/finish within reasonable cycling distance from Solihull in 2019.

Needless to say, the route is infinitely better than Velo Birmingham (for one, it doesn't go through Coventry Laughing )


Err ... Heart of England CC Audax (160, 100, 50) at Meriden in May is pretty close to Solihull.

Rob
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whosatthewheel



Joined: 03 Jul 2016
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robgul wrote:
whosatthewheel wrote:
General entries now closed.

I can still fit in a small number of riders with AUK membership.

AFAIK this is going to be the only Audax to start/finish within reasonable cycling distance from Solihull in 2019.

Needless to say, the route is infinitely better than Velo Birmingham (for one, it doesn't go through Coventry Laughing )


Err ... Heart of England CC Audax (160, 100, 50) at Meriden in May is pretty close to Solihull.

Rob


Fair enough Rob... let's rephrase it as "the only Brevet Randonneur"...

haven't seen anything in the organisers calendar yet. There is the small matter of Velo Birmingham in mid May, although I seem to recall HoE cc organise their events the weekend after. Either way, bit of a spanner in the works
_________________
https://whosatthewheel.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
robgul



Joined: 20 Oct 2008
Posts: 51

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whosatthewheel wrote:
robgul wrote:
whosatthewheel wrote:
General entries now closed.

I can still fit in a small number of riders with AUK membership.

AFAIK this is going to be the only Audax to start/finish within reasonable cycling distance from Solihull in 2019.

Needless to say, the route is infinitely better than Velo Birmingham (for one, it doesn't go through Coventry Laughing )


Err ... Heart of England CC Audax (160, 100, 50) at Meriden in May is pretty close to Solihull.

Rob


Fair enough Rob... let's rephrase it as "the only Brevet Randonneur"...

haven't seen anything in the organisers calendar yet. There is the small matter of Velo Birmingham in mid May, although I seem to recall HoE cc organise their events the weekend after. Either way, bit of a spanner in the works


It's the Saturday of the following weekend - 18 May - they should be listed in the AUK site in the next couple of weeks.

Rob
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MikePWood



Joined: 31 Mar 2014
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the entries still available? Not a member of Audax UK but would join to enter this. Would hate to join and there be no entries left though...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whosatthewheel



Joined: 03 Jul 2016
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikePWood wrote:
Are the entries still available? Not a member of Audax UK but would join to enter this. Would hate to join and there be no entries left though...


Hi Mike. I am going to release a final batch of entries in December... not many... around 15-20. What I can do is to put you on a mailing list of people interested.
All I need is for you to drop me an email at pcoppo@gmail.com

With half the entries coming from Bromsgrove and Redditch, I am quite keen to have local riders
_________________
https://whosatthewheel.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Neil



Joined: 04 Aug 2010
Posts: 54
Location: Cov

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whosatthewheel wrote:
(for one, it doesn't go through Coventry Laughing )


I'm duly offended Evil or Very Mad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whosatthewheel



Joined: 03 Jul 2016
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I looked at the route of Velo Birmingham, over 50% is in heavily built up areas and there isn't a single hill. At least, the 2017 course did cross some of the best cycling areas around Birmingham, but this route is well and truly dull.

It seems to me, learning from the grief of 2017 and the even bigger grief the organiser experienced at the doomed Velo South, the priority was to secure the least amount of trouble with road closures and paradoxically, that is achieved in urban areas, due to elevated roads and motorways where traffic can still move. Moreover, urban communities are typically younger and keen to get involved.
_________________
https://whosatthewheel.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
whosatthewheel



Joined: 03 Jul 2016
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9 places left, they will probably go in the next few hours/days. Last chance to ride BRUM 200 as an Audax in 2019

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-82/

EDIT: all gone now
_________________
https://whosatthewheel.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index -> General riding/club runs/touring All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group