Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index Solihull Cycling Club
Welcome to the Solihull CC Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   SearchHomepage   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disc Brakes with Through Axles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index -> Technical questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColinW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Disc Brakes with Through Axles Reply with quote

A word of caution
I have just replaced the disc pads on my Boardman road bike which has shimano hydraulic discs with through axles which I had not ridden for a few weeks but has been ridden quite a few miles in this winter's wet weather.
I thought I would remove the wheels but was unable to pull out the through axles which were partially seized in the hubs even though I was able to undo the threaded ends which just parted the fork ends, both front and rear.
I had to resort to a hammer and piece of threaded rod to drive them out which is far from ideal as the axles are hollow alloy and easily damaged.
I made sure I put some lube on the axles as well as the threaded ends as if I had punctured out on the rod I would have been stranded.
Hope this is useful.
Colin Williamson
Neil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice. Have been using thru axles on my trail bike for a few years and learnt early on to not over tighten or force the soft metals! Luckily never experienced a puncture before realising this Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index -> Technical questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: