Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index Solihull Cycling Club
Welcome to the Solihull CC Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   SearchHomepage   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Café/Restau - The View @ Hill Farm Marina (nr Wootton Wawen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index -> General riding/club runs/touring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cully

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Café/Restau - The View @ Hill Farm Marina (nr Wootton Wawen Reply with quote

Writing this on 12 Jan 2020:
I’m scheduled to lead next Sunday’s (19 January 2020) “D” ride to stop at the new café at the Marina near Wootton Wawen.
This is a café I’ve not been to before so I decided to do a recce run today. It's called “The View” and located at Hill Farm Marina which is about a mile along the A3400 in the direction of Stratford from the Bull’s Head at Wootton Wawen.

The marina has access to the Stratford to Birmingham Canal and I believe was dug out two to three years ago. The café/restaurant opened in July 2019 and was converted from a cattle and grain store. See the website for further information (https://www.theview-eat.co.uk).

Looking at the map I estimate the marina to be located almost equally distant between the Wootton Wawen and Edstone aqueducts. The Edstone is reputedly the longest cast iron aqueduct in England and worth a visit if your interest extends to canals and/or engineering! The intention is to route the ride under both aqueducts next Sunday. On the subject of aqueducts there is a further much shorter Yarningale Aqueduct not too far from the marina in the Preston Bagot area.

With a fairly direct route from Solihull Town Centre passing through Lapworth, Lowsonford etc the ride is only around 14 miles each way – a bit short even for a winter ride! I worked out a route providing a return mileage of around 42 miles - hopefully that will be OK.

On my arrival at 11:00 am the café was very busy, I was on my own so seating wasn’t a problem, if I’d arrived in a group of half a dozen we may have had to wait for a table! But OK we’ll see how things are next week. The generously sized toasted teacake with butter and jam together with a regular black coffee came to £4.90. Service was fairly quick. There is a large seating area outside with good views over the canal, marina and beyond.

Kind regards
Rob Very Happy

Hansbury

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I agree with you it is a nice café. I started a walk from there some weeks age, But it may be wise to check what time they stop serving general food, as I visited it last Sunday and all they were serving was Sunday lunches so I ended up at the craft centre.
Just worth checking.
Regards
Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index -> General riding/club runs/touring All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: