Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index Solihull Cycling Club
Welcome to the Solihull CC Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   SearchHomepage   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

During the Covid 19 / Coronavirus Lockdown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index -> General riding/club runs/touring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cully

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: During the Covid 19 / Coronavirus Lockdown Reply with quote

Dear All,

Following the UK Government guidelines we can still ride bikes of course.

While I was riding recently I crossed a bridge over the M40 and noted the motorway traffic to be of a density more like when I first began driving some fifty or so years years ago in the late 1960s!

Along the lanes I am pleased to see more cyclists than usual. Very Happy

I see many more people on walks along lanes and footpaths. I always say – the best things in life are free! Very Happy

But I do miss the club rides with chums Crying or Very sad

The ride out and back along the lanes.
    The chat and amusing banter at the table in the cafés.
    If a rider has a puncture or mechanical problem other members of the group will offer help.

Reminder that guidelines are on BC website (29Mar2020)...
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/article/20200312-British-Cycling-Coronavirus-COVID19-Guidance-0

Kind regards and keep safe all.
Rob
cully

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st April 2020...

Anyone who follows bike racing in general would know there was a decision a few weeks back to cancel the Tour of Flanders. Hence as one might expect the associated Sportive that runs on the day before the race that I was due to ride next Saturday with my two sons was also cancelled. I had made my own preparations, part of the route would pass along steep, narrow, cobbled roads and I had bought some "special" tyres that were considered well suited to ride on cobbled surfaces. Oh well maybe next year! Sad

All is not lost I put the ‘special’ tyres on my summer bike, at least I will look the part as I ride in search of some cobbled surfaces to get full effect! Very Happy

I was riding the lanes yesterday morning.
Only two vehicles, one car and a truck past me over a distance of around 8 miles! I crossed the main road at Hatton Village Hall - no traffic at the junction. This is unreal! The pattern continued at every main road junction I traversed.

The roads virtually deserted almost like a disaster movie. It triggered many imagined scenarios. Was this real life? It was like being locked in a Sci-Fi TV drama where I was a time lord on a bike exploring the area around the time machine that had transported me to the planet. Not sure of what I might find on my return to a world I had been away from for a hundred years. Like Dr Who piloting a groaning, spinning Tardis on a mission to save an infected human race from a deadly virus. Perhaps my Tardis might be inside a race team support car with spare bikes and wheels on the roof rack!

Could I have been asleep for weeks, my brain connected to a virtual reality!....

Kind regards and keep safe all.
Rob
Phil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also out yesterday morning on virtually empty roads. As you say most road junctions were clear and on my 13 mile loop I touched the brakes twice.
cully

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, still locked down as we all are! Sad

We did a ride yesterday; the weather dry and sunny but much colder than last week! Cool

I was on my summer bike and my wife Anne on her hybrid that I modified about a year ago by adding a motorised front hub!
We had a few initial teething problems that were resolved fairly quickly, since then the motor and other components have worked successfully.
When beginning a ride she selects a low or zero power setting on the controller and uses more power to provide assistance when the going gets tougher to peddle, e.g. on hills and/or towards the latter part of a ride!

At the time of fitting it I was conscious the overall bike weight was increased with the motor, the battery and other components and I was in two minds of whether or not she'd take to it very well.

But she's getting so much more used to it now and whilst she acknowledges the bike is noticeably heavier, she considers that it is a somewhat inevitable trade off for the assistance provided by the motor. Furthermore the additional weight is for the most part noticed when she is wheeling or manoeuvring the bike and that once she is riding along the extra weight is still there but not as noticeable.

We both find the traffic density such an advantage at the moment. Smile

We couldn’t quantify in any way but we both believe there are many more people out on bikes and walking than we would normally expect to see. Smile

Hopefully this will continue when our lifestyles return (albeit gradually) in time to normality.

Kind regards and stay safe all.
Rob
cully

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All,

We've been riding this week, traffic is definitely increasing on the roads, especially noticeable on the motorways. Six weeks ago the motorways were like on a Christmas Day. But not so now!

I rode alone through the centre of Solihull on Thursday, onto Homer Road, then onto the footpath going under the railway bridge into the park. It is over forty years since I walked along that pathway to the funfair on a Saturday after the carnival, around 1970! Bit different now!

I had a brief look at the bike track before continuing to the road and onward to Monkspath where I joined the Stratford Road and turned right at the Plough.

Do they still have the carnival and/or funfair I wonder? I haven't lived in Solihull since 1976 ish!

Well if things had been more or less normal (like in 2019) I should have been in Mallorca now! Hey ho!

We had a family holiday organised, a villa organised in Puorta Pollença. Travel and car hire all organised - oh well!

Travel on aeroplanes looks like being a long way off, travel within the UK makes any holidays likely to be at home rather than away. I suppose all this brings things down to earth somewhat!

Enjoy the quiet lanes while they last.

Stay safe.

Take care.

Kind regards,
Rob
cully

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All,

Although the roads are becoming a little busier there is still less traffic than in say February this year. The weather has been generally good for April and May too!

Still lots of bike riders and walkers on the lanes and I see more and more Solihull CC members too! 'Some' say hello or wave.

If we do begin club rides at some point later in the year (or in the first quarter of 2021!).

I was just reflecting on how it might be - perhaps like going back to school after the summer holidays -

"What did you do in the lock down Rob?"

"Oh well I used to ride a bit on my own, sometimes with my wife, I mowed the lawn three times a week and waited patiently for club rides to begin".

"I got my winter bike all cleaned up and ready for the Autumn - whereas I usually leave it until the end of September and rush it to make it ready for when the clocks go back!" "I even managed to finish the big long list of jobsthat have been building up for about three years!"

I needed to get a haircut, but I can't get hold of a set of electric hair trimmers for love nor money! I tried Argus.

Take care all.
. Very Happy

Kind regards
Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index -> General riding/club runs/touring All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: