Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index Solihull Cycling Club
Welcome to the Solihull CC Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   SearchHomepage   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Station run 'don't wait for punctures' vote
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index -> General riding/club runs/touring
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Station ride stop for punctures
Yes
71%
 71%  [ 15 ]
No
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 21

frosty steve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Station run 'don't wait for punctures' vote Reply with quote

Apparently there has been a vote which now says that we don't wait for punctures (so as not to disrupt the ride). What's wrong with riding up the road for a mile or so and riding back to keep the flow but support the puncturee (or whatever they are called). Also, with the fluctuating make-up of the ride I suspect that the majority for/against the 'policy' will change according to who is there. We wait at junctions for those who don't make it across (O.K. only a minor disruption) but I think this sends the wrong message to newcomers to the ride. I know there was quite a bit of disquiet about this on the ride today so I thought I'd put a poll on. Can the vote be limited only to those who at least semi-regularly do this run.
Guy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I MUCH prefer to wait for punctures but one of the attractions of the fast Saturday Run is it is short and brisk and you are guaranteed to be back in Dorridge by 12 with a very sociable tea stop. For riders with young families or other commitments this is very attractive especially as this could be their only ride of the week. Also riders can join the run knowing exactly what time the group will get there etc.

Taking that into account a "halfway house" of making sure a puncture or mechanical victim is ok and has tools etc before carrying on and hopefully a couple of mates hanging back is perhaps the best way forward. We are after all always a very short distance from home on this circular route.

But I prefer to wait
Guy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS And ALWAYS wait for club juniors or youths even though they drop us later! Shocked Wink
Phil

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowt to do with me really but PLEASE PLEASE always wait for the under 16s.
The club has a resposibility to the juniors so we should never leave them behind.
PaulM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said YES to stopping for punctures. We always have done in the past. With a couple of helpers it takes 5 minutes and we're back on track and everyone gets the full enjoyment of the ride.

However, when we get to the Shelfield hill and the pace picks up, then I am happy for it to be every man and woman for themselves....I've had puntures in the last loop and have not expected anyone to stop for me as I know that we are heading towards the sprint line. I agree though that we should stop for the juniors at this point, however, in reality, with people riding a bit harder to the sprint line, it would be difficult to get a majority of people to stop, but perhaps if 2 or 3 could this would solve the issue.
james_c

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally we always stop for punctures. Personally I think its anti-social to carry on when it's a club ride.
Ardara

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember these are "club runs". If you want to have an undisturbed ride, enter a road race. Perhaps that would be to hard.
Iva New Bike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It Is a club run. All club runs should stop for punctures.

As I have said before, for lots of reasons poles should not be used to make club decisions. You do not even need to be a club member to vote.
frosty steve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iva New Bike wrote:
poles should not be used to make club decisions.

The original 'poll' was taken the week before on/after the run (or so I believe). However, this seems a bit of a coincidence as there has only been (as far as I recall), one mechanical in the previous seven weeks. There were, however, at least two riders who were in a hurry as they said that they had to get back home for 11.00 and 11.30 - maybe there is a connection.
This was simply an attempt to get more discussion going on it which it has - aim achieved.Where it goes from here is up to the people who do the run I suppose in the absence of a run leader (as Dave R has not been there lately) - maybe someone needs to be designated for when he isn't there.
Ardara wrote:
If you want to have an undisturbed ride, enter a road race. Perhaps that would be to hard.

Some weeks it feels like one (thanks Connor)
GaryRP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve

Don't believe all you hear. I think I am the source of the story that there was a vote on this previously. What I actually said (to my fellow rider) was that I thought there had been a decision not to stop for punctures. That belief, which may be wrong, dates to several months ago - not the previous week - and I never said that there had been a vote.

It's amazing what a storm can be caused by a casual comment.

Regards
GaryRP
GaryRP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that it was not my decision to carry on. I just went with the flow.

However, my personal opinion is that we shouldn't wait for punctures on the Saturday run (unless it is a junior of course). This is not a normal club run, it's a training bash that follows the same route every week. So no-one should get lost, and there are opportunities to take shortcuts to regain the group.

Regards
Gary
Fondriest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Sat Run Reply with quote

I think we should stop for punctures / mechanicals pre- Shellfield - after that then usually someone waits but I have been stuck there - not nice but most of us can mend a puncture.
Further issue - I have been out where there are newcomers who dont know the way and can easily get dropped - if they dont announce themselves to someone and are kept an eye out for, I am sure we have lost potential new members. This is not nesc the best run to start on but if people turn up then they always come along. Russ
Guy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryRP wrote:
I should add that it was not my decision to carry on. I just went with the flow.

However, my personal opinion is that we shouldn't wait for punctures on the Saturday run (unless it is a junior of course). This is not a normal club run, it's a training bash that follows the same route every week. So no-one should get lost, and there are opportunities to take shortcuts to regain the group.

Regards
Gary

Oh come off it Gary it isn't really a training bash - if I can keep up it is more of a social ride
Iva New Bike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It IS a club run, it has never been a traing bash.
Guy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iva New Bike wrote:
It IS a club run, it has never been a traing bash.

I always view it as a brisk club run with a bit of a burn up before the caff.

Occasionally I send Ivor ahead to buy my tea as the queue in the cafe is when competition seriously hots up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solihull Cycling Club Forum Index -> General riding/club runs/touring All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: